In 1927 Paramount Pictures purchased 2,400 acres for use as a "movie ranch." After World War II the studio sold the property where parcels were sold to private investors. In 1952 Bill Hertz bought 326 acres that still bear the Paramount name, where he turned the land into a western town. In 1980 the National Park Service purchased the land and revitalized the old movie ranch. To the south towering over the park is Sugarloaf Peak at 1,515', it is the highest point in the park.
Coyote Canyon Trail – .75 miles round trip, easy hiking trail. From the west side of the Western Town, the trail follows a small canyon and climbs up to a small hill that overlooks the valley below. A short trail leads to a picnic area with a view.
Medea Creek Trail – .75 miles round trip, easy hiking trail, begining at the southern end of the parking lot. The trail loops up to Mulholland Highway and back to the parking lot.
Overlook Trail – .5 miles round trip moderate hiking trail that climbs uo Coyote Canyon to a view of the mountains to the west.
Additional small connector trails exist at the Ranch:
Marco Polo Hill is named for the set built there in the 1930's
Hacienda Trail leads past the sites where Paramount built a Hacienda set and CBS built a homestead for "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman".
Witches Wood got its name from the fortune tellers who set up booths at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire during the late 1970's.
Backdrop Trail goes along an area of the Ranch that could be used for any outdoor short for it shows no telephone poles or any distinctive features.
Directions: From the Ventura Freeway (US 101) in Agoura take the Kanan Road offramp and turn south. Follow Kanan, bearing left onto Cornell Road. Continue to a large marked gate on your right.